dice3I’ve been feeling blue since Wednesday when I was told that out of the 3 eggs retrieved, only 1 fertilized. I spent most of Thursday in a daze, waiting for a phone call that would tell me we lost the last, precious embryo, and right up to the moment I walked into the clinic this morning, I was expecting to hear “We’re so sorry, but…”

But, miraculously it didn’t happen.

I know the odds are against me. I’m in my late 30s. Only 1 embryo was transferred. And it’s a 3-day transfer instead of a 5-day. But we still have that 1 embryo. After my pre-transfer acupuncture treatment, the doctors came in to say that the little embryo looks really good, it’s dividing well, and shows little fragmentation. Finally, the first good news since the retrieval!

We went back to the room with the comfy chairs, and I let my bladder fill… and fill… and fill…! I’m not a big person and it doesn’t take much to fill my bladder, so the nurse let me ‘release’ some before the procedure. I think that’s the worst part of the whole IVF process. In the surgery, we got to see our beautiful embryo on the screen, and I was really happy to see that one of my favorite doctors would be performing the ultrasound while another doctor completed the transfer. I didn’t feel a thing, other than my very large, stretched bladder. It’s also really fascinating to watch everything on the screen and see the two little bubbles that come through the catheter, knowing that the little embryo is floating between them. After the process, I returned to the acupuncture room and felt wonderful, knowing that there was something inside of me: I don’t know how long it will stay with us, but right at that moment, it was in there, hopefully looking for a place to call home for the next nine months.

I’ve read in some places that success at IVF is like winning the lottery. But you can’t win if you don’t buy a ticket, and though only one precious embryo resulted from this IVF treatment, this one gives me better odds than I’ve had in the last 3+ years.